Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I was a passenger in a motor vehicle accident back in January

I was a passenger in a motor vehicle accident back in January and sustained a displaced rib. ICBC has offered an $8,500.00 settlement. I cannot find anything online indicating what the settlement ranges are.

Is this a fair offer?

There is not a set amount for such settlements; rather, the amount you should get depends on a variety of factors. I will inform you of all the factors so that you can simply 'plug in' the appropriate number to reach the appropriate amount.

1) Any out-of-pocket costs/expenses you incurred as a result of the assault. These could include medical bills, ambulance costs, costs of any prescription medication or pain kills, expenses incurred to hire someone to care for you, surgery costs, etc. To prove these claims, it is best to keep all receipts from such expenses.

2) Loss of income (i.e. for any time that you were unable to work as you were in the hospital or injured). To prove this amount claimed, your work pay stubs, as well as the hospital records showing your stay, would assist in illustrating the amount of income you lost out on.

3) Pain & Suffering: this will likely be your largest amount claimed, as it pertains to the physical and emotional harm you suffered as a result of this injury. The more suffering you endured, the more you would claim under this category. Supporting this would be any pain killers that you regularly take, any anti-depressants required after the injury if you became depressed, and medical notes attesting to the seriousness of the injury, other hospital records, etc.

In considering all these factors, you can decide if the $8500 is fair. In my opinion, it sounds reasonable, though keep in mind I do not know all the facts or your amount of pain & suffering etc.

Hopefully that is of assistance.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: My communication is general legal information only and is not intended to be relied upon. This information is not legal advice, nor is it a substitute for such, and if you are seeking legal advice then it is recommended that you retain an attorney. There is no guarantee as to the accuracy of this information, nor shall I be held liable for any claim, demand or damages, actual or consequential, of any kind or nature, known or unknown, arising out of or in any way connected to this information or the issue it pertains to. No solicitor-client relationship has been created by this communication.