Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Need to know what to do with a person who volunteered to FOSTER

Customer Question

Need to know what to do with a person who volunteered to FOSTER a dog for our charitable society. they refuse to return the dog to us.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

What was the agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Debra.........are you on line?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer at all within 15 minutes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Deborah,

this lady has been fostering for another rescue group. we joined forces with them. they have a foster agreement with her. we did not renew since it is not necessary. she fostered for us again, and once a wonderful application came in, she refuses to return the dog to us. we have all the documents and proof that this dog belongs to our charitable society.......I:e we are responsible for it until it is adopted out and more. this dog's microchip is registered to us and us only...........

You can sue her in Small Claims Court.

The law treats the dog as a possession.

So she has your possession.

You can send her a letter my Registered Mail and in the letter give her a deadline for returning the dog. The deadline should be very short such as 24 hours.

Tell her if she fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking the dog, damages and your costs.

If she doesn't give back the dog then you can sue her in Small Claims Court and can self-represent.

If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

For now, let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I ensure that this communication is completely blocked to the public?

As soon as you rate me the post will close.

I can then send a message to the site to lock this post.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would love to rate you. How do I do that? however, I would like to continue to consult with you and not close our communication, only not to let the public access it.thank you so much

You rate me by choosing the starts or happy faces or something like that. I am not too sure.

But when I ask for this to be locked I won't be able to see it either unfortunately.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok.....I shall wait a few days and then contact you. don't want to jeoperdize the process in place

That's totally fine!

Have a lovely day.