How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Copperlaw Your Own Question
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2012
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Copperlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

By the flooding, the tenant is evacuated during 3 weeks. And

This answer was rated:

By the flooding, the tenant is evacuated during 3 weeks. And he called me not to pay the tenant fee for the time of evacuation.

Plesae tell me if it is legal.

I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I am still waiting.


By the Alberta flooding, the tenant is evacuated during 3 weeks.


And he didn't want to pay the rental fee for condo for next month becasue he could't stay most of time during this month in the condo.


Please inform if he can reject to pay the rent fee for some reason of

natural disaster.


If he doen't pay it, please tell me how I can get it.




Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Hi There


I have been following the situation in Alberta and I feel horrible that all of you are having to deal with this.


This is not the first question of this nature that I have seen and it is a very fair question, from either a landlord like yourself, or the tenants.


In this case, the circumstances, beyond the control of either yourself or the tenant, has prevented your rental property from being habitable for a period of time. Accordingly, the rental agreement becomes frustrated, as you are no longer able, for the time being, to fulfill your end of the agreement, in that you are obligated by contract to provide a rental dwelling to this tenant.


In the case of high density rental units, such as high rise apartments, the landlords are able to move the tenant into a new unit in the building if their unit becomes uninhabitable for whatever reason. By doing so, the agreement is not frustrated and can be fulfilled, and the obligations on both sides continue.


At this time however, you are not able to uphold your end of the agreement, unless you had another unit for them to occupy temporarily and the tenant must find alternate accommodations at present. Accordingly, the courts would not expect them to pay for your rental unit, during a time that it is not available, through no fault of either you or the tenant.


Most policies of insurance carried by landlords on their rental properties will also cover any loss of rental income as a result of situations such as this. I would suggest that you contact your insurer and determine if you have such coverage. If the unit is covered for the damages that have occurred, and the insurer is aware it is a rental property, then you should have coverage for loss of use.


This is similar to the provisions which would see you reimbursed for having to seek temporary hotel accommodations if your own residence were damaged by fire, flooding etc.


The only loophole through which you may still be able to receive the rent payment, is if the tenant has their own separate policy of insurance on the rental property, outside of the typical "content insurance" which covers them for their living expenses while not able to occupy the rental property. If they were being reimbursed and were not out of pocket, it is could be reasonable to ask for payment of the rent. However if your insurer were to reimburse you for the lost income, it would be improper and potentially fraudulent if you were to try to "double-dip" and profit by being paid both by the tenant and the insurer.


Please let me know if you have any further questions or require clarification as I am happy to continue discussing this.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.



The condo insurance can not covered the expense of the accomodation during evacuation.


However the goverment gave some pre-ordered debit card which can afford the tenant's expense of the accomodation during evacuation.


In the case, the landlord can ask the rent fee for the time of evacuation

even though the tenant doesn't want pay the rent fee.

Any government assistance would be different than compensation from an insurer. I expect that government compensation will go towards living expenses, accommodations, food etc. This would not necessarily offset their loss and make them whole as some insurers do.

Since the rental contract cannot be completed during this time, since the accommodations cannot be provided, the obligation to pay rent would not be upheld either.

The only recourse as a landlord would be to seek compensation through your insurance company. This would be no different than a fire, tornado, or structural issue making the rented premise uninhabitable.

If it cannot be lived in, through no fault of the renter, they cannot be expected to pay rent under the agreement as it cannot be satisfied due to the house being uninhabitable.
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2012
Experience: Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
Copperlaw and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy