Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I am looking into buying a house and I dont have an agent

Customer Question

I am looking into buying a house and I don’t have an agent as yet. I am trying to understand the fees and was wondering if I could save money by contacting the agent of the house I am interested in and put in an offer and give him/her the listing on my house?... how does this work and what is the best approach?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

The seller of the house pays the commission.

So you cannot bargain with the agent about the commission for a house you are buying as that agent has a signed contract with the seller.

You can try and make a deal with an agent to take less commission.

So that's a possibility.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.