Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I had day surgery and returned to work with a sling. I have

I had day surgery and returned to work with a sling. I have been working for a week since the surgery but are required to wear the sling for another 4 weeks. My district manager came in the store today and said he needed a Doctors note saying I was cleared to work and if I didn't produce the note I was not allowed to work next week. My Doctor is in another city and is very difficult to get appointments with. Can they legally do this?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

It is acceptable for an employer to ask for a letter from a doctor indicating that you are fit for work.

This is to protect you, other employees and the employer.

I suggest you see a local doctor at a walk-in clinic and get a note from that doctor.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!