Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Regarding Ontario contract law. We recently terminated a contract

Regarding Ontario contract law. We recently terminated a contract with a firm in Toronto. We abided by the rules of the Contract. The principle in this firm has basically gone off the deep end as it appears we were her primary source of income. We just found out that she notified clients that our principle was terminated from her company. We are not part of her company! We had a joint venture. She also has been invoicing us for imaginary commissions. We were current with her under our contract and the 30 day notice provided her firm with one more commission due after July 1st. I am currently travelling on business in California and am back in Toronto on Sat. June 29. The holiday on July 1 means the earliest I can attend to this matter is July 2. She is causing incredible damage to the business we are building as she is advising our clients that she has terminated us. We are in damage control. Can we sue her? Can we get a restraining order? Can we hold funds due her in an escrow account until all issues are resolved? Is this a criminal matter that we can forward to the Crown.? We need advise
Regards,
Bob Woodward
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

I am sorry to hear this.

I suggest you retain a lawyer immediately to send her a letter demanding that she cease and desist, provide you with a written apology and send a written retraction to all the customers.

And the letter can say that if necessary you will seek an emergency injunction and will then seek damages and your costs.

If you don't have a lawyer then what you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326 or(NNN) NNN-NNNN(within the GTA)

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx

I hope that helps as a starting point.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!