How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question

Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have been living common-law with my boyfriend for

Customer Question


I have been living common-law with my boyfriend for 7 years and have been a caregiver through two cancer treatments now. He is getting aggressive now and the doctor and my cancer support therapist says they think it is resentment. He is swearing at my verbally abusive and calling bad names. Now he is saying he does not want the stress so he is giving me 2 months to find a job, pack my things (which most of it was given away when I moved in with in) and find a job (as I was his caregiver). Is this fair or legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law.Hut replied 1 year ago.

There are no automatic rights to property in a common law relationship in Ontario. So he has no obligation to allow you to continue living there ( I assume that it is is his home). He can require that you leave at any time and actually dos not need to give you any notice. The normal rules of landlords and tenants also do not apply to such a situation. You would not have any legal basis to refuse to leave or to demand a share of his property. If you can prove that you made contributions to him or his property for which you have not received some form of compensation, then you could sue (failing a negotiated settlement) and a court can order that he pay you the appropriate Amount. That amount would not be any fixed percentage such as half, but would depend on the value of the uncompensated contributions that you have made. Those contributions could be from payments by you to help buy or finance assets, or improve or maintain them, or your own labour that benefits him or adds to the value of his property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been his caregiver, ie all yardwork, cleaning, maintaining appts during chemo, communication with hospital, arranging care for in-home when chemo bottle had to come out etc. Cleaning up after "accidents". I HAVE given money to him during my working days but when cancer/chemo started had to be a full time care-giver. I find it hard to believe that any human after that trama can get a job in this market, pack and find somewhere to live. He has 2 charges of abuse against me previous to the cancer and is consistently verbally abusive. I have also given him a lump some of money 2 months ago of $10,000. It is hard to believe that the court system would agree with such a short period of time after taking care of not only him, the property and our two dogs.


Expert:  Law.Hut replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have considerable evidence about contributions that you have made. It will be a matter of agreeing ( or convincing a judge) about the monetary value of those contributions above and beyond any compensation you already received, such as living somewhere rent free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is in my opinion an unfair judgement. I HAVE made improvements to the house. So basically because of his anger of having cancer I will be on the streets. Nice law system.



Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not consider physical labour every day rent free. It is as if you were to hire a someone to take care of you.

Expert:  Law.Hut replied 1 year ago.
Why are you rating my service as bad? I am not passing judgment, just telling you the law that exists. Do not shoot the messenger please.

And I am telling you that you seem to have a valid claim for some amount of compensation based on all that you have contributed and done for him. That does not unfortunately allow you rights to demand to stay in his property. But that is not my fault so I ask that you reconsider your rating. You asked a question and I gave you an honest answer.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Last | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • M D J's Avatar

    M D J


    Satisfied Customers:

    I have a general legal practice in Alberta, Canada.

Related Canada Law Questions

Chat Now With A Lawyer
6458 Satisfied Customers
with over 15 years experience.