Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

The corner of my neighbours 50 year old garage encroaches on

The corner of my neighbours 50 year old garage encroaches on my property by 6 inches. This is confirmed by surveys. A new owner took possession last year. The property would have been registered in Land Registry but I believe all Muskoka properties have now been transferred to Land Titles. Can we insist on having the neighbor remove the garage. Also does it make any difference that the new neighbor has now made modifications to the garage that infringe on the current 15 foot sideline setbacks and may actually also encroach on our property by a few inches? The recent modifications were done without a building permit.

The neighbor insists that neither his realtor or his lawyer advised himabout the encroachment at the time of purchase.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

When did your property become converted to the Land Titles Act system? Was it at least over 2 years ago?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unsure. believe it was more than 2 years ago.

If it was over 2 years ago then you do not stand the chance of losing that portion of your property.

There is no such thing as adverse possession under the Land Titles Act system. There is under the Registry Act but the neighbour had to make a claim within two years of the conversion.

So as long as you are past the two years you are safe.

And it's not the least bit relevant with the neighbour was told. He/she can sue the realtor or lawyer if they made a mistake but that is hardly your concern.

The neighbour cannot keep his garage on your property without your consent.

So I suggest that you simply have your lawyer send a very civil letter (this is your neighbour of course) and give the neighbour a reasonable time to move the garage but make it clear you are not asking but actually insisting and will get a Court order if necessary.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it just the 6 inches of the garage that he would have to remove or can I insist on the whole garage being removed?

Can I insist that the garage be moved to meet the current 15 foot sideyard setback bylaws?

For sure you can insist the garage be moved off your property.

Whether the by-law would apply is a different matter because the neighbour may be grandfathered in to any new by-law.

This is something to discuss with by-law enforcement.
Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!