Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

A tenant rents apartment for one-month (short-term rental).

A tenant rents apartment for one-month (short-term rental). One week after moving in, the apartment becomes inaccessible due to an overland flood affecting the entire region. The problem persists for the rest of the month, through no fault of the landlord because the entire municipal infrastructure was affected. In this case, is the tenant entitled to any refund of rent?
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

I am sorry to hear this. You can well imagine how many questions we are getting relating to this catastrophe.

In any event, the tenant is entitled to get a rebate of the rent for the time he/she cannot use the apartment.

The landlord cannot complete his/her end of the deal and provide the tenant with the premises in a form fit for habitation so the tenant is entitled to the money back.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks very much for the rating.

Please take the time to participate in the customer satisfaction survey as that will go into my record with the site.You will be sent an email with the survey in a couple of days.

And feel free to keep my name in case you need me again down the road. You can always put my name into the subject line the next time you post so that your question will stand out for me and I will answer it just as soon as I can.

Thanks and take good care!