Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I want a job in Canada and travel there

Customer Question

I want a job in Canada and travel there
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

We cannot help you with finding a job but I can let you know the law about how to apply for a temporary work permit if that will help.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your answer. As a matter of fact i am 100% satisfied with your answer. Please kindly let me know the law on how to apply for a temporary permit.
You will need a job offer first.

The way it works isn't really that complicated.

What has to happen is this:

Your potential employer has to apply to the government for what is called a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). What this entails is the government reviewing the job market to ensure that there is a shortage of Canadians to fill your job. You cannot take a job away from a Canadian. So, you have to have a skill, or work experience, in an area where Canada needs workers and there aren't enough Canadians who have that skill or work experience.

If that's the case then the government will give the employer a positive LMO.

Then you can apply for the work permit.

You will need to prove your credentials and also need to undergo background, medical and criminal checks.

If all goes well you will get the permit.

Here's the webpage that has all the information you will need including the forms and information about the fees:

Let me know if you need any further clarification.