How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law.Hut Your Own Question
Law.Hut, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 7846
Experience:  with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law.Hut is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Neighbor improperly disposed cigarette. Out house was on fire.

This answer was rated:

Neighbor improperly disposed cigarette. Out house was on fire. Repairs will take several months. We (adults and kids) have greatly suffered from day 1. Currently our family is squeezed in a small 1-bedroom apartment. We are not sure we want to go back to our house even once fixed. The same neighbors will still be around. When we take a look through the window, we are afraid we will see flames again. Are we entitled for a compensation for suffering and ruined life? Are we entitled to a compensation for expenses associated with selling the house, buying new one and movers? Do we take our neighbor to the court? Do we actually have any options?

Certainly if you can prove that cigarette came from the neighbors and was the cause of the fire, you could successfully sue them for the damage to your property. You could also sue for reasonable costs or expenses that you have suffered as a result, such as needing an alternate place to stay or transportation costs, and some reasonable amount for just basic inconvenience and emotional suffering.

Hi appropriate step at this point would maybe be to send a demand letter, stating that you expect payment of a certain amount, and feeling settlement advising that you will be suing.

It is not mandatory to have a lawyer send such a letter, or even to ask for you in a lawsuit. But you may get a better response if you pay a lawyer to send a type of letter. And your chances of success in a lawsuit such as this would certainly be better if you have legal assistance.
Law.Hut and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions