How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3446
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i rent my house even if my daugthers name is XXXXX XXXXX the

This answer was rated:

Can i rent my house even if my daugthers name is XXXXX XXXXX the title
without her permssion . her nane eas put on the titlte as a covenous
Thank you for your question.

Do you live in the house? Is there anyone else on title?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The house is vacant There is no one else on the


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my name is XXXXX XXXXX title

If you're not on title to the home, how can you rent it out?

I realize that this is the question you're asking me. You cannot enter a contract with someone to rent a home when the home isn't yours.

That's what the law says. Reality is a different story. I you know the person you want to rent to, you could tell them that they can move in and pay rent to you.

But if you want to evict that person and they won't leave, it's your daughter who has to apply to the sheriff for the eviction order.

When the tenants want receipts for rent paid, you could sign them. But then you need to get receipts from your daughter that she's renting the home to you for the same amount of money, so that you're subletting to your tenants. And your daughter will need to claim that money as rental income. If you don't then everyone will get an audit from Canada Revenue Agency, because the tenants claim credits for rent paid but your daughter claims no income from it.

I think you see my point. There's nothing stopping you from telling someone to move into the home and give you money. But there's more to it than that.

This might not be the answer you wanted to hear, but it's the answer you need to hear. Don't shoot the messenger. If you wish to discuss this, please reply. If you're satisfied that I have answered you then I ask you to give the service a positive rating so that I get credit for having helped you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my name is XXXXX XXXXX what now

You said that it wasn't, didn't you?

If your name is XXXXX XXXXX then that's a different story. Yes, you can rent out the home and issue receipts. But you may have to split the rent with your daughter. It depends on the exact nature of the house's title. Your accountant is in the best position to advise you about the tax consequences.

I assume that your daughter is okay with you renting the home out.

Ulysses101 and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions