How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95641
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently quit my job in Manitoba and noticed that I was not

This answer was rated:

I recently quit my job in Manitoba and noticed that I was not paid my vacation time. I sent an email to my previous employer to send my vacation pay to me and provided my proper address since I moved provinces. I received a response stating that he paid me already but all my records does not show this. This is not a problem, I know I need to contact the Manitoba labour board but in this email he also stated I owe the company $650.00 for a course they paid. I did sign an agreement back in Oct 2011 stating that if I do not stay employed with this company for two years after I passed the course that I would have to pay the course fee back. I passed the course in Oct 2012 which is less than two years which means I owe the money back but, the company which I signed the agreement with was sold and the new owner took possession of the company in May of 2012 and the company name changed slightly. It went from a copmany limited to international inc. but overall a totally new company. If the new owners did not pay for the course how can they request this fee to be refunded. My question is do they have any right to request this from me? Would something like this be transferred over when the company was sold? Your help on this will be much appreciated.
Thank you for your question.

Before I begin I want to explain a bit about how the site works.

It may be that I will find that I need to gather further information from you. As well, it's quite possible that you may feel the need to ask me additional questions for further clarification.Please do not worry that you will be charged additionally if I ask you questions or if you need to ask me questions. That is not at all how the site works.

As well, please understand that as a careful lawyer I will always give you an honest answer even if the answer is sometimes not what you were hoping for.

Finally, as we go through the process please do not feel rushed if I ask you a question. You are always free to take your time to gather more information before you post back. As well, please understand that even after you rate me the post will not lock and you could always come back for further clarification if you think of something a bit later on down the road.

Does your contract say it is assignable?

Do you know if the new owners bought the corporation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not receive a contract so I would say no. The agreement for the education did not say this either.

I am not sure how to answer the second question. I do not know what you mean by bought the corporation. The previous owner put the company up for sale and the newer owners bought it and changed the name of the company. I did notice through the transision that all outstanding payables and receivable up to the date of new ownership was still the responsibility of the original owner.

Does this help?

Do you have your contract available?

And does it say you are employed by a corporation?

Or does is say you are employed by a business that does not appear to be incorporated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As previous mentioned I did not sign a contract when I started with this company and when the company changed ownership. When I started the company it was called A.D. Rutherford & Co. Ltd and when I ended my employment it was called A.D. Rutherford Int'l Inc. When the company switched over I did not sign any papers or contract. The agreement for the education is under A.D. Rutherford & Co. Ltd but A.D. Rutherford Int'l Inc is asking for the money to be refunded back to them. I do know the previous owner and belive this is his money not the new owners. If I go to the previous owner and ask if they will forgive this repayment and if they agree would this make a difference?

You can ask them but you were not employed by the owner in a legal sense.

You were employed by a corporation.

It sounds to me that you were still employed by the corporation that changed it's name.

If that is the case then the former agreement still stands.

But you can certainly try and argue that you have no such agreement with the current employer and see what they say.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 95641
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy