Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

My Grandmother was born in North Dakota in 1910. I would like

My Grandmother was born in North Dakota in 1910. I would like to apply for dual citizenship with
Canada an the US. How do I go about doing this? Do I qualifiy?

Copperlaw :

Hi There

Copperlaw :

There are a number of ways to obtain citizenship or dual citizenship, such as birth, naturalization, marriage or your parents or grandparent's citizenship

Copperlaw :

It is quite possible that you qualify for US citizenship based upon your grandmother having been born in the US

Copperlaw :

Because these situations are assessed on a case by case basis and depend upon an number of circumstances and criteria, one must inquire with the relevant government officials, in this case, in the US and begin an inquiry and application

Copperlaw :

You may begin your quest by contacting the US Embassy or Consulate and they will be able to assist you in making your application and can guide you through the process, telling you what you need to have or do

Copperlaw :

Here is a Canadian government link detailing information on dual citizenship.

Copperlaw :

but ultimately, you'll need to contact a US Embassy or Consulate and you can find out how by calling the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade at 1-800-267-8376

Copperlaw :

They'll help you get in touch with the proper US resources.

Copperlaw :

I wish you the best of luck with this.

Copperlaw :

Should you require anything further, please don't hesitate to respond as I am happy to chat further

Copperlaw :

Also, a positive rating is greatly appreciated if you would be so kind

Customer:

Thank you so much! You Have truly been of great help! If I do receive dual, will my husband be able to obtain dual and my son as well?(He is 19.)