Sokkalaw
Sokkalaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
20497631

are you a lawyer specializing in Canadian Immigration?

No but if you let me know the province you want to immigrate to I can suggest ways on finding a lawyer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

British Columbia. I indicated in the beginning that I needed an Immigration lawyer. Are there no lawyers on Just answer.ca that do specialize in Canadian Immigration?. The site asked what type of legal assistance I required. This is the reason I am using this service.My situation is quite unique and I have been satisfied with your help so far but I still need answers to the specific questions I keep asking - Immigration the same as Permanent Resident? Where do I send completed forms Rehab/ARC/Perm Res forms.? As I first mentioned, we hired a Canadian Immigration Lawyer who gave us poor advice. We need help as we have literally tried for years to get the correct answers to our questions. I even called Immigration in Ottawa & they told me to send forms to NEW YORK I said we live in Washington STATE so even I know that maybe we send to Seattle but more than likely Los Angeles? Please help and thank you again,

If you immigrate to Canada you become a permanent resident of Canada.

I said you apply to either the New York or Los Angeles office.

Those are the only two offices that take applications for rehabilitation. You apply to whichever is closer to you.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was hoping that you would answer all of my questions - Can the Perm Res form be sent to L.A. or does it have to go to Ottawa? Also do I need to do an ARC or no ? I noticed that Justanswer says at this time there are 7 Immigration Lawyers on. Do you think you can help me or should I start with another? If so, do I have to start from the beginning of my questions or can my correspondence with you be transferred to another person ? I thank you for your info re: the Rehab portion of my problems.

They are talking about immigration lawyers in the US.

There may be one immigration lawyer online on the Canada law list right now.

I am going to opt out and then he will feel free to answer.

Debra asked me to respond to you. Please give me a minute to review the information you wrote.

There are only two offices in the United States - New York and Los Angeles. Seattle and Detroit are closed as of January 2013.

In your case, it is very difficult to say what you should do. The Canadian visa offices are in a state of flux and there are many changes taking place. The government changes its mind regularly about how things are to be done. That being said, it may make sense to send the entire package to Ottawa. If not, then in a letter to Ottawa, advise them that you have applied for rehabilitation. In other words, make sure Ottawa knows what is going on.

Does that answer your question?
Sokkalaw, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Thank you for trying to help. Do you think I should send the REHAB to Los Angeles and also, to Ottawa along with the Permanent Res. Application forms ? As I stated to Debra, the Gov't Immigration website says that if I am applying to immigrate (Perm Res) that I don.t need to apply for Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) as that would be dealt with at the time they reviewed the Permanent Res forms. The problem that started this mess was that I had not applied for an ARC after receiving a Pardon in Canada. When I went to go to Canada one day the border re-deported me and told me to get an ARC. Debra told me that the old Ministers Permit I Had for 9 years did not give me rehab status although the gov;t was aware of my criminal past in the states in 1969& 1972 and they allowed me to live & work in Canada from 1979 to 1987. Debra also said that Permanent Residence is the same as immigrating? Thank you

The ARC has nothing to do with the offences of which you were convicted. Rather, they have to do with your previous removal from Canada.

So you need authorization to return to Canada. The reason for the authorization to return is that a removal order was issued against you. So you should an application for an ARC as well.

You need rehabilitation for offences committed outside of Canada. It does not matter how long ago the offence was committed.

You should send the entire package to Ottawa. If this is not the right procedure, they will let you know what to do. So follow, precisely, any instructions you receive after sending the entire package.

If you have any further questions, I can answer them in about 2 days.
Sokkalaw, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer in Ontario, Canada