Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My daughter-in-law has been subject to libelous comments posted

My daughter-in-law has been subject to libelous comments posted Oct. 5th on Facebook. The comments were posted by a woman who submitted a sworn affidavit on Oct. 3rd to Children's Aid Society lawyers concerning my daughter-in-law. The case regarding my daughter-in-law is currently going through the Family Court. I have no issue with the submission of this woman's affidavit - I am confident that the family court will deal fairly with the case.
My issue is that this woman is a currenly practising lawyer; I have checked this with the Upper Canada Law Society. I find it highly unethical and discriminatory for a lawyer, who happens to be a witness, to post libelous comments on Facebook about my daughter-in-law while the applicable court proceedings are in progress. This lawyers actions have created great emotional stress for my son, his wife and children. What recourse would you recommend?
respectfully,
Are you saying this woman is stating lies about your daughter-in-law or just her horrible opinion?

Do your son and daughter-in-law have a lawyer acting for them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This woman is both lying and distorting facts on Facebook. My son and daughter in law have a lawyer representing them and I am prepared to " let justice take It's course".
As stated in my question, my issue is about the ethics of a lawyer placing what amounts to bullying gossip on Facebook while court proceedings are in progress.
Thankyou
Yes I understand that.

But it may be best to deal with her once the Family Law Court makes a decision.

It seems to me that it's most prudent, unless their lawyer advises otherwise, for your son and daughter-in-law to wait for this to be resolved and then they have two options.

They can file a complaint with the Law Society against her as this is conduct that is not acceptable as a lawyer.

And your daughter-in- law can sue her for defamation.

But it's risky, unless their lawyer thinks it makes sense under the circumstances, to do anything that could put their case at risk now.