How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98013
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

at what age can a child leave home legally in ontario without

Resolved Question:

at what age can a child leave home legally in ontario without their parents consent and move in with another family ? What are the consequences with police etc?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.

Debra Thal (username) :

A child can leave home at 16 in Ontario and the police will not be willing to be involved.

Debra Thal (username) :

But the child will lose all rights to financial support from his/her parents if he/she does so.


what are the consequences if the leave their family home and move with a new family

Debra and 3 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if the child family tries to come and take the child back from her new home, if the police is called will they protect her from going back to her parents home?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
No the police will not protect her unless there is abuse.

They police will not force her to come home.

But she is a minor until 18 in Ontario and so the parents are her legal guardians.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will the police ask her family relatives to leave her and her new residence if she doesn't wish to return to her parents home.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.

She is a minor.

Everyone will want her to go back home.

But the police will not force her and Children's Aid does not have jurisdiction.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Here's the situation. The child is 17yrs(girl) & will be 18 on Feb23 2012, she wants to leave her parents home due to certain circumstances. She wants to come & live with a new family her friend & father..The new family consists of a father and daughter only.

-she have already spoken to her parents and ask for changes in their home, it never changed, so she had spoken with them about her intentions.

-can she leave her family home without her parents consent?

-will her friend & father get into trouble legally for taking her in their home?

-if her relatives comes to take her back and she refuses to return and they become violent, if the police is called, will they remove them from the home, based on the child decision?

-can her family legally force her to return home in any way?

-What is the best way to do this peacefully and legally?


Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
The police will not drag her home.

And if it gets violent the police can and should be called.

The police will not let the family hurt her of course.

And the friend and father will not be charged by the police.

If she can wait until February it may be a bit easier but ultimately she cannot be forced back home.

And perhaps a peaceful way to deal with this is to have a lawyer write a letter setting out the daughter's position and making the family see that they cannot stop her.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you Debra

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My daughter 17yr old girl friend had a number of problems at home & told her parents she wanted to leave & come live with us. They had alot of problem with that & she went to her sisters's in Montreal. She's there 2 weeks now, they've slipped alcohol in her drinks & last Friday, Nov 04, 2011, her sister & her husband, physically beated her up, busted her eyes, ears, hips & chest..they took all her money, phone & laptop from her..they threatened her she'll never leave there again...they both wasnt at home briefly and she went to the neighbour & called was very brief & couldnt get the chance to have her call the Police...She said she had called Mom & told her to have them return her to Toronto...I am not sure if this is happening as I cannot speak with her Mom, since its here her daughter wants to come... I am in Ontario & the girl is in Montreal...What can I do immediately from here to help her get out of there safely, before they damage her permanently...The girl will be 18 in Feb2012
Awaiting you reply...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any answers to my question above?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
You call 911 in Montreal immediately.

Tell them all the facts.

And them they you are terrified that her life and health are at risk.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I called 911 in Montreal & reported the problem, they will look into the problem, also, the girl had said the sister & husband said they'll coming to deal with me later, threating my life.. I am quite concerned as its just my 17 year old daughter & myself that lives here and most times I have to travel to the city 2hrs drive for meetings etc. What are my options and what should I do..I am concerned mostly for my daughter and myself...I'm in Ontario & they live in Montreal...
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
I would call the police in Montreal.

This should not be a 911 call.

But I would make a full report to them at once.

And I would also call your local police and run the facts by them and say you are scared.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will do that immediately
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I called the Montreal Police & spoke with them, they advised me to make a report to the local police here. The Police visited their place lastnight to find out about the abuse, the girl said she was fine, and the sister & husband said there were no issues & all is well..
Which I didn't believe, then why would the girl call to me and say those things about her hip/ eyes/ ears hurtung etc..
I called the local police here to make a report & they didn't think it was a threat, they said just leave it alone and concerned more with my relation with the girl...Anyways, the montreal police gave me an ID# for the 911 do I access it? Also, the sister told the police lastnight I was the problem..Am not sure how the police didnt see any bruises on the girl and that she was scared her sister & husband may be arrested...
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
Do you think this child could be more troubled than you think and made this all up.

The police would have been sure to see her and make sure she is not harmed.

I think the explanation could be that she lied to you.

Perhaps she was mad at them and wanted to get them in trouble?

I think you call the regular police line and ask how you can follow up and give them the ID #.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is always the possibility she may have lied, however, I do believe her as she is terrified of her sister & husband...Anyways, she mentioned they took all her money and said it was the biggest mistake she made coming there...she'll never leave...if they are forcing & confining her to stay there, what can she do to return to her parent home.. She said she had also contacted her Mother & told her what happened and wanted to return, but am not sure whats happening with that... What can she do to get out of there?
The Montreal Police did went lastnight & they told them I was the problem...Honestly, I dont believe she is lying & make a fool of me...previously in one of my past conversations with her she indiacted how scary & horrible her sister & husband behaves...All I have is the neighbour address & tel#, how can I get the address of where she is staying?
I gave all my personal to 911 lastnight & the Police gave my name/addr etc since I placed the call...Do you know whether the Police would provide me the the address where she's at currently?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
The police will not give you the information.

I would call again and explain all you know.

Indicate that she is terrified of them and likely protecting them and ask if they could remover her from the house for questioning alone and also see if she wants to come back home.

And see if the neighbour will agree to go over and check too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just received a call from Toronto Police, they had a number of questions about me, the gir Mom reported me having inappropiate relations with the girl and the officer said a dective will contact me soon so answer the phone..He said Montreal & Toronto Police is investigating and nothing was wrong with the girl. They want to me to spot contacting them or the girl period. I told the officer I would drop the entire matter., I dont like the way and direction this situation is going, from concerns to something horrible.. Please advise.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
I don't either.

I suggest that you tell the officer that you will not make any statement until you have had a chance to consult with a lawyer.

This is your right.

You will of course co-operate but want legal advice first.

If you don't know any lawyers then you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

416-947-3330 (within the GTA)


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am located in Niagara Falls, Ontario.Can you help me in finding a lawyer? Would this situation turn out to be ugly and dirty?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
It doesn't sound like this will amount to anything but I cannot know for sure.

I don't know any lawyers in Niagara Fall.

Here is the number for the referral service from outside Toronto:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I forgot to mention, I will be travelling to India from Nov10 to Nov27, will this be a problem with this new situation?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
This will for sure have to be addressed before you leave as you don't want them to think they need to issue a warrant for your arrest.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All I receive was a call from an Police officer in Toronto earlier, but who/where do I inform? I dont have any contact details or case Id etc..
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
I assume they will call you in the next couple of days and you should see a lawyer before you go away.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This situation sounds very serious.. Am I at risk here? How do I know whats happening?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
I don't now any more than you do.

I think that child is unhappy at home and the mother wants to blame you.

I also think the child lied to you because she was not beat up by her sister.

She would be black and blue and the police would have removed her from that home.

So I don't know what is going to happen. As a lawyer I can only say that you should take steps to protect yourself by seeing a lawyer and by doing so before you leave for India.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will have to do so tomorrow as on thursday Nov10, is the day I am supposed to travel.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
I know.

So do your best.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will keep you posted ..thanks for all your help and assistance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I spoke with a Lawyer earlier, explained the situation, I didnt have a contact#, name or division, explained the officer said a dective would be in contact with me...I asked whether it was essential I retain them at this point.. They said no, and it was fine to continue with my travel plans. If I hear the the police today, I should contact the Lawyer immediately, else continue wth my travel plan....Does this sound right?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 years ago.
Yes it does.

I think you are doing all you can for now.

Take that lawyer's number with you on your trip.

I hope this doesn't hang over you head the whole trip!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, my blood pressure is very sugar levels have risen since I spoke with that officer yesterday... I tried helping someone as I have a daughter the same age & now I am the target and cause of this entire ugly situation.. It just doesnt pay to try and help anyone.

Related Canada Law Questions