Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Longer Processing Times for Family Class Sponsorships

Customer Question

I have a question regarding "Longer Processing Times" for Family Class Sponsorship - Person to be sponsored lives outside of Canada. As per CIC website - the processing times for sponsorship of spouses for Pakistan is 23 months (Principal Applicant). The processing times for this country increased dramatically from 6-8 months (2009) to 23 months (2011). I have gone through CIC website and have read the "General Explanation" as to why the processing times are different for different countries.

Actually, what I am looking for is a SPECIFIC answer, why the processing time for Pakistan has increased by 18 months yet China and India, one of the densely populated countries of the world and among the same region "Asia Pacific" are still at 04 and 06 months from 2009.

I have a close friend who recently got married and is looking to sponsor the spouse. They are young and in love and hurts to know that they will have to wait almost 2 years to live together. I believe that an increase in processing time is unfair to legitimate marriages and might not be allowed in some religions / beliefs for married couples to be away from each other.

If we can have a specific answer it will help understand the challenges, if any, being faced by Citizenship and Immigration Canada for Pakistan. If you can recomend a course of action for us to shorten this period by a lot, we would be much grateful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 years ago.

Debra Thal (username) :

I don't know if there will be any information about the reason why but I will check right now and see what I can find.

Customer :

THanks, Please note that I have gone through the CIC website and call center and have the general data along with the statistical submission for the period. I am looking for a specific answer.

Debra Thal (username) :

I cannot find any answer.

I will opt out and if another expert has an answer he/she will pick this up.

Customer :

Thanks.