Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Does Buyers Remorse law apply in canada

Does Buyers Remorse law apply in canada?  I called Future Steel Buildings in On, Canada.  They called me back with a deal on a steel garage leaving a message on my machine.  I called them back.  Under sales pressure to buy that very day my husband agreed to buy a garage.  He reconsidered and cancelled the agreement 40 hours later .  They are determined to keep half of the $3,200 deposit.  I mentioned the Buyers Remorse law to them and they stated that it doesn't apply because we made the first contact to them for brochures.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 years ago.

Debra Thal (username) :

Did they come to your house?

Debra Thal (username) :

Or was this all just on the phone?

Customer:

Just on the phone.

Debra Thal (username) :

Were you or your husband mislead?

Customer:

How do you mean mislead. We don't think we were mislead but we never got to the point were the product was delivered. There was a lot of sales pressure to do it on that day.

Customer:

Are you still there?

Debra Thal (username) :

I am here but the phone rang.

Debra Thal (username) :

I mean can you possibly say that you are not going to get what you paid for or that you were told X but it's really Y?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Basically after thinking about what was needed on our part and our limited resources, our parents health, etc. we decided this wasn't a viable project for us. We cancelled within 48 hours.

Customer:

Debra, we have to leave here in 10 minutes. Are you still there?

Debra Thal (username) :

I am here but the site said you were still typing.

Debra Thal (username) :

I don't see a way out of this unfortunately unless you can say that you were so unduly pressured that you were not able to really understand what you were signing.

Debra Thal (username) :

The fact is that they didn't lie and that you came to a binding agreement.

Debra Thal (username) :

But if you take the position that you really didn't get to think it through and talk about things like undue pressure they may back down.

Customer:

My husband says that his emotions took over at the time and with their intense sales pitch, he followed his emotions rather than his logic. After thinking about it buyers remorse kicked in and he wanted out.

Customer:

I've stopped typing.

Debra Thal (username) :

Did you see my full post.

Debra Thal (username) :

I think your husband should say that he was not able to consider the price fully given the high intensity pressure and that he is going to sue them.

Customer:

I've seen everything that you have typed in this chat. Is there more?

Debra Thal (username) :

I think if he takes that approach and goes high enough it may work.

Debra Thal (username) :

They don't want to be sued.

Customer:

He isn't going to do that because this was a half price deal so he did consider the price but the pitch was very intense. We have had a difficult time dealing with them thus far and we do not want to incur further legal expenses.

Customer:

Done typing.

Customer:

We have to leave. Do you have anything else to offer?

Debra Thal (username) :

But you can threaten to sue and then not sue.

Debra Thal (username) :

Or you can sue in Small Claims Court.

Debra Thal (username) :

You can self-represent and I can assist you if you ever find you need more help.

Debra Thal (username) :

I think you are being bullied by them.

Customer:

Thank you. We'll think about this. Are we done?

Debra Thal (username) :

If you feel we are.

Customer:

Yes, thank you. What do I do now?

Debra Thal (username) :

Click accept please.

Customer:

Okey dokey

Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer