How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 96991
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking after my 16 year old Granddaughter in British

Resolved Question:

I am looking after my 16 year old Granddaughter in British Columbia. Her parents are around but not always available. Recently issues have arisen with regards XXXXX XXXXX applying for her driver's license and traveling out of the country with other family members. Should i apply for legal guardianship as there will be other matters as she gets older.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 years ago.
Would the parents agree?

And would they agree for her to leave the country?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I believe the parents will agree.


Yes they already give permission for her to leave the country, it is just for vacations.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 years ago.
Then you can get an Order appointing you guardian, on consent.

It will not be very complicated nor very costly.

While it's best to retain a lawyer to do this for you as it will be on consent you don't need a very experienced lawyer to do this. If you see a junior lawyer the fees will be much less.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919.
Legal Ease and 2 other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions