Yossarian (user name)
Yossarian (user name), Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
35478394

I have a tenant who destroyed my house and what recourse do

I have a tenant who destroyed my house and what recourse do i have?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Yossarian (user name) replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Joseph Thompson :

What is the extent of the damage financially?

Joseph Thompson :

What is your province or territory?

Joseph Thompson :

And, good afternoon.

Customer :

i will guess the damage to be around 12000 dollars. all the hardwood floors are totally done . light fixtures are either gone or destroyed..several screens are totalled and the smell in the house is unbelievable. i am in ONTARIO thanks Susan

Customer :

also at least 3 ceilings are stained very heavily and towel bars have been riped out of the wll

Joseph Thompson :

I am sure that you are going through a frustrating experience.

Joseph Thompson :

You should take photographs and videos of the damage. You should also obtain 3 estimates before getting any repairs completed.

Joseph Thompson :

You can sue your former tenant in Small Claims Court. There is a $50.00 fee to issue the Claim and it will cost another $100.00 to list this matter for trial if it does not resolve at a Settlement Conference.

Joseph Thompson :

The evidence should be attached to your claim. While most parties are self-represented in Small Claims Court, if you want to retain a civil litigation lawyer to act as your advocate, you should contact The Law Society of Upper Canada's lawyer referral service(NNN) NNN-NNNN and you will be provided with the names of civil litigation lawyers who can act on your behalf.

Joseph Thompson :

I hope this answers your question and that you accept this answer. Please press accept so I am credited for my time. This answer constitutes general information only and is not legal advice. A lawyer-client relationship has not been formed.

Customer :

thank you

Joseph Thompson :

You're welcome.