Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I purchased a boat lift from Viking Boat Lift, Stoney Creek,

Customer Question

I purchased a boat lift from Viking Boat Lift, Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada.
I paid them in full after delivery but some of the lift parts were defective. I communicated with them and they promised (by email) to send parts months ago. They will not repond to my calls or emails now. What legal course do I have at this point?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
debra thal :

Are you in Ontario?

When is the last time you heard from them?

Are you certain they are still in business?

Customer:

No Houston, Texas. Vendor delivered boat lift last fall.

Customer:

Last heard them about 2 months ago. I can go back to emails to verify.

Customer:

Yes they are still in business. I left voicemail today on 2 different lines. Website is "vikingboatlift"

Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
It's very unfortunate because of the distance.

You can certainly sue them in Small Claims Court but it's certainly not easy to do so from Texas.

How much are the items worth in total?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I paid $10,000 for boat lift. ( My Catalina 22 sailboat is stuck in lift boat.)

The lower "V blocks" that support boat on lift were too short and electrical switch defective. Owner also promised emergency hand crank handle when electrical lift motor not functional.

I have email verification of communication and broken promises from Bo Moller, owner.

As an American, can I file in Canadian small claims court and then fly to Ontario?

What can I ask for beside value of parts due to me? Legal cost for local counsel in Stoney Creek, ON? Flight cost to and from Canada?

Would you suggest I pay local counsel at Stoney Creek to letter? Let me know if I am over my time limit for your advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not good at proofing my sentences. Last question was: "would you suggest local counsel at Stoney Creek send a letter?
Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
There is no time limit at all. The way the site works is that we can go up and back whenever it`s convenient for you until you`ve had your question clarified.

Small Claims Court does not order a lot of costs for legal fees but the Court is geared to the self-representing litigant.

You would get some costs but not a lot.

It would certainly be worth your while to have a lawyer from Stony Creek or around there write a letter. They will believe that you are going to sue even in the end you fee you cannot.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-800-268-8326

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I would be happy to pay you for that service (a letter, that is) but I assume from your advice above that is not one of the services you provide.

Can you give me names of 3 lawyers from Stoney Creek? If not, I will follow your advice above.

I sort of screwed up on this web site and hit neutral feedback before we "chatted". Is there a way to chage it to positive?

Expert:  Debra replied 7 years ago.
I cannot do the letter because we aren't permitted to have direct contact with the customers.

I am in Toronto and don't know of any lawyers in Stoney Creek unfortunately.

I am not too sure about how you can change your feedback. If you don't mind contacting the administrators that would be great.

Thanks for being so considerate.