Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

How much severance pay can I expect in Saskatchewan when my

How much severance pay can I expect in Saskatchewan when my company shuts down the operations ? It is am American company and I have been employed for 6 years and there is not a union in place.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 years ago.
If an employee is dismissed without cause then the employee is entitled to receive "reasonable" notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. So, if you are in a management position the Court might order 6 months or so. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am currently laid off and the company has decided to shut down operations totally. I am not currently being paid by my employer, but am on Employement Insurance. Is there an actual minimum amount by law or regulation that must be paid in Saskatchewan ?
Yes there is. You are entitled to 6 weeks minimum notice because you were employed for 6 years.