Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Can I apply to sponsor my mother as a family member, living

Can I apply to sponsor my mother as a family member, living here in Canada with me presently on a visitor permit. She has two weeks before the expiration of her stay.

Or I need to get get extension for her and at the same time apply to sponsor.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 years ago.
It is usually not possible to sponsor a parent while the parent is in Canada.

There are occasions where immigration will allow the parent to be sponsored from within Canada but in that case you would have to convince Immigration that sending your mother back would cause her undue hardship.

For certain she has to have a valid visa the whole time she is here.

If she has to return home, Immigration will usually allow her to return for visits during the processing time.

Let me know if you need further clarification.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What are the circumstances in which immigration would consider it unsafe or detrimental for her to go back home. I am presently in school and she is helping look after my kids in order for me to continue my education. I really, really need her to stay.
It would depend on the facts. It may work.

It's not about unsafe. It's about the actual fact and you proving them.

In your case it may depend on why you need her and not someone else, how old the kids are, did something happen to you that you need her, for example, did you just separate etc etc.

If you can afford an immigration lawyer this may be a good reason to retain one.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.