How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91002
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires a letter of administration

Customer Question

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires a "letter of administration" indicating that I am the legal representative for my son, who was killed in February 2009. There was no will. I am designated as his mother, as next of kin on the death certificate. My son was single and living on his own with no children.

There is no estate. I only need to do his income tax returns for 2008 and 2009. What do I need to do to obtain a letter of administration. Can a notary draft for me a statement of the facts or do I need to see a lawyer to obtain a court ordered letter of administration. Please advise. Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 years ago.
Are there any assets at all?

Are there taxes owing?

Are you saying you were not able to get the name of a lawyer to see for the 30 minute consultation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no assets
no taxes oweing
the phone number did not work
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 years ago.
If there are not assets it doesn't make sense for you to pay to become the administrator of the estate. There is no estate. You do not have any legal obligation to do so.

If you want to speak to a lawyer through the lawyer referral service. then this is the number to us:

1-900-565-4LRS (4577)

It only works from a private line in Ontario. It doesn't work on all phone systems. If you cannot access it from any phone you have then you can call:

(416)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
I hope that helps.
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91002
Experience: Lawyer
Legal Ease and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when we do his taxes there will be some money does that mean he has assets then ( we are trying to finish things up by doing his taxes) is there some other way do finish his taxes?

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 years ago.
Yes that does mean he will have some assets. You will not be able to cash his cheque without getting appointed as administrator of the estate unfortunately.

I would suggest you follow up with getting the 1/2 hour consultation and have the lawyer explain to you what you need to do and then do it on your own.

I am sorry for your loss.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy