Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires a letter of administration

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires a "letter of administration" indicating that I am the legal representative for my son, who was killed in February 2009. There was no will. I am designated as his mother, as next of kin on the death certificate. My son was single and living on his own with no children.

There is no estate. I only need to do his income tax returns for 2008 and 2009. What do I need to do to obtain a letter of administration. Can a notary draft for me a statement of the facts or do I need to see a lawyer to obtain a court ordered letter of administration. Please advise. Thank you.
Are there any assets at all?

Are there taxes owing?

Are you saying you were not able to get the name of a lawyer to see for the 30 minute consultation?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no assets
no taxes oweing
the phone number did not work
If there are not assets it doesn't make sense for you to pay to become the administrator of the estate. There is no estate. You do not have any legal obligation to do so.

If you want to speak to a lawyer through the lawyer referral service. then this is the number to us:

1-900-565-4LRS (4577)

It only works from a private line in Ontario. It doesn't work on all phone systems. If you cannot access it from any phone you have then you can call:

(416)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when we do his taxes there will be some money does that mean he has assets then ( we are trying to finish things up by doing his taxes) is there some other way do finish his taxes?

Yes that does mean he will have some assets. You will not be able to cash his cheque without getting appointed as administrator of the estate unfortunately.

I would suggest you follow up with getting the 1/2 hour consultation and have the lawyer explain to you what you need to do and then do it on your own.

I am sorry for your loss.