Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Are Property Easements in Ontario recovable; and/or can they

Are Property Easements in Ontario recovable; and/or can they be terminated if the property on which the easement has been granted have been sold?
Is the easement registered on title?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Debra. I believe that the easement is registered on title. There are two instances of easements registered on this property as it is a large parcel of land i.e in excess of 700 acres.

Thanks for your prompt reply,

If the easements are registered on title then they survive any transfer or sale of the land.

But, if you aren't sure it's very easy for any real estate lawyer to search for you. In most provinces they can do it online in a minute from their desk.

Depending on the type of easement it may be possible to negotiate it's removal.

It would make sense to see a real estate lawyer and have him to the search first so you know exactly where you stand. From their you can discuss the issue with the lawyer and consider having him try and negotiate something for you, if that's a possibility.

What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-900-565-4LRS (4577)

Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.

Here's the link to their website:

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.