Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment

What is part time hours in Ontario?

In Ontario what is the minimum number of hours to work to be considered a full time employee?

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 7 years ago.

Where do you work? How many hours weekly on average?

Is there any employment contract?

You're paid a wage, I gather? How are you paid?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I work in a call center. I am scheduled to work on average 29 hours per work. I was hired as part time but my hours have increased by verbal agreement.

I get paid $11.25 per hour bi-weekly. Direct Deposit is how I am paid. I am asking because there is another employee who has gone from 40 hours down to 30 but is still considered full time and receiving benefits from the company i.e. drug plan

Is there an employment contract?

How long have you been at 29 hours per week?

Have you been on renewed contract? How long have you been there?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have been at 29 hours per week for 2 months. I have been employed with the company one year. The employment contact that was signed stated that I was hired for part time but that has now changed by oral agreement. Prior to that, I had worked 21.5 hours one week and 14.5 the other week. I have not signed anything stating that I would work 29 hours per week but agreed to it via e-mail.

Before how it worked was that I would work every 2nd Saturday. So one week I would work Monday - Wednesday and then the next week, I would work Monday-Wednesday and then Saturday.

I don't think that there is a definitive answer to your question, which is why you couldn't find anything on your internet search.

If your employment contract is for part time and you are consistently getting 30 hours a week or more, then you can claim full time status from what I understand. But I can't tell you that definitively, nor are you getting 30 hours. Your employer may be under the impression that 30 hours a week is full time which is why you're getting 29.

Employers aren't obliged by law to provide benefits anyway, so I'm not sure what your "full time" status would accomplish for you other than a slight advantage in negotiating future severance pay in lieu of notice upon your termination.

An oral agreement is still an agreement, although it's harder to prove. If you think that your workplace values you and will offer you a full time contract given your time in, then ask for it. Then again you work at a call center, and telemarketing is notorious for being cheap with its employees.