How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question

Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2602
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to get an Emergency Interim Custody order in place to

Resolved Question:

I want to get an Emergency Interim Custody order in place to have my 2 grandsons removed from the home of their father's girlfriend. Their mother is deceased and her common law boyfriend, father of the boys is neglecting them, emotionally and mentally abusing them and is not providing parenting required to raise 2 sons who are now ages 10 and 6. I am a senior citizen but do not qualify for legal aid and can not afford a lawyer. Can you offer me any advice or direct to to someone who can help me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 6 years ago.

Hello Gramma


Where do you live?


What did the child welfare authorities say most recently?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live near Guelph Ontario, but the children live in London, Ontario.

They said the complaints were taken care of by the father! They did not interview the children - I am exasperated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have you asked another question? - if so I can't see it.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 6 years ago.

I'm here, gramma.


sometimes I do a bit of research before answering, and sometimes I'm looking at other questions too. It's also midnight for both of us.


To get an emergency motion granted, you have to show that the children are in imminent and serious risk of physical or severe emotional harm. What would your evidence be for that?







Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is difficult - I can only go by what the boys have told me in visits - also, the younger child has become very withdrawn, always says that no one loves him or cares about him. The older one is starting to rebel, and has become depressed and I am concerned he is going to hurt himself or run away. Neither of the children are happy -they are always quite sad and when they are away visiting, they never want to go home. In their words, their father loves his girlfriend first, her 3 children second, his possessions and personal interest next and the 2 boys are last on his list. Since Sept 2008, both boys have spent the majority of their time after school grounded to their room (which they share with the g/f 15 year old son). Their father does not help them with school homework, but always has time to help the g/f.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 6 years ago.

OK, this is clearly very important but not an emergency in law and I'll tell you why.


Under rules 14 and 15 of the Ontario Family Court Rules, one of three situations has to be in place before you can get an emergency motion granted. Keep in mind that by bringing an emergency motion you are asking the court to change another person's rights and obligations without notice to them (ie without serving them with your documents and sworn information about the allegations, and giving them an opportunity to reply) which is a big deal in a democracy.


Firstly the children have to be under an immediate risk of serious physical or emotional harm, and I do mean immediate and serious. Based on what you've said, the court would most likely not give you emergency custody if the child welfare authorities haven't deemed it to be an emergency and acted already.


Secondly, there has to be a recent and credible threat that the other parent is going to take the children out of the province contrary to the expressed wishes of the custodial parent. Since you don't have custody as I understand it, this won't apply.


Thirdly, there has to be evidence that the other party can't be located and you can't serve him with your documents, which is clearly not the case here.


Judges hate emergency or "ex parte" motions because they are asked to move children around with only having one side of the story. From what you've told me, I don't see you getting an emergency order.


By all means bring your application for custody and a motion for interim custody returnable as soon as possible. But I don't think you have grounds for an emergency motion. Keep your appointment with duty counsel next week, fill out the forms and get dad served with a copy as soon as possible, and press on from there. Duty counsel will help you as best they can. I always recommend getting a lawyer if you can afford it, but if Legal Aid won't help you then you have to press on yourself or trust the Children's Aid Society to do the right thing. Personally, I rarely trust the CAS to do the right thing.


Good luck.




please accept this answer so that I may receive credit for the time and attention I've put into your matter.

Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2602
Experience: 11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Ulysses101 and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy