Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

how can I get a copy of my lost custody papers. Apparently the family court in Ontari

One and a half years ago I asked the family court in Kitchener ON for a copy of my custody papers. They said they were sending me the originals. Indeed they looked like originals when I received them. I have since moved and have looked through every box I own and cannot find trhem. I want to take my daughter to Mexico in Apr. I understand that I must have this document with me when I travel. I have already paid for the vaccation and cannot find the document. Please help. We have not heard form her father in nine years. He has never paid any child support, nor have we seen him in nine years. I don't even know if he is still alive. I have had full custody for the nine years also. Is there any way of getting an affadavid or some document that proves that I have full custody?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 years ago.
No. It's not necessarily clear that and Affidavit will work.

You will need to get the papers from the Court again unfortunately.

The problem is that without the document you could be asked for a letter for permission to travel from the father. It's all about preventing parental child abduction. There's no guarantee that they will even ask for it. I've never been asked but in case they do ask they won't necessarily let you leave Canada based on an Affidavit.

If you used a lawyer the lawyer should have a copy.

If you didn't you can contact on of the Family Law Information Centres and ask how you can do this the quickest.

Here is their contact information:

Kitchener 200 Frederick Street, 2nd Fl. (519)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Kitchener 20 Weber Street East (519)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>

I hope that helps.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.