How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98530
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can I get a copy of my lost custody papers. Apparently the family court in Ontari

Resolved Question:

One and a half years ago I asked the family court in Kitchener ON for a copy of my custody papers. They said they were sending me the originals. Indeed they looked like originals when I received them. I have since moved and have looked through every box I own and cannot find trhem. I want to take my daughter to Mexico in Apr. I understand that I must have this document with me when I travel. I have already paid for the vaccation and cannot find the document. Please help. We have not heard form her father in nine years. He has never paid any child support, nor have we seen him in nine years. I don't even know if he is still alive. I have had full custody for the nine years also. Is there any way of getting an affadavid or some document that proves that I have full custody?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 years ago.
No. It's not necessarily clear that and Affidavit will work.

You will need to get the papers from the Court again unfortunately.

The problem is that without the document you could be asked for a letter for permission to travel from the father. It's all about preventing parental child abduction. There's no guarantee that they will even ask for it. I've never been asked but in case they do ask they won't necessarily let you leave Canada based on an Affidavit.

If you used a lawyer the lawyer should have a copy.

If you didn't you can contact on of the Family Law Information Centres and ask how you can do this the quickest.

Here is their contact information:

Kitchener 200 Frederick Street, 2nd Fl. (519)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Kitchener 20 Weber Street East (519)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>

I hope that helps.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.
Debra and other Canada Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Canada Law Questions