How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 91101
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal to hold onto someones belongings when any money

Customer Question

Is it legal to hold onto someone's belongings when any money is owed?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 years ago.
This depends on the facts.

Can you provide a few facts and also let me know what province you are in.

If you did post more information it's not up yet.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in the province of Manitoba if that does give you a hand of what I'm looking for.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 years ago.
I have you additional information now but I still need to understand who is holding the belongings and why she has them and what you owe money for etc.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My ex-girlfriend has some my belongings as she says I owe her money. I will admit that I owe $550 ruffly for a suit that she has bought for me and which I do not have, she says I owe $700 but has not shown me any listing of what from. We used to live together, but not as common law. I moved out due to the relationship being over and been attemping till last week for 6 months to contact her VIA e-mail as it is my constant scoure of contact currently. She gave most of my stuff back but holding some things, for example she gave me my Playstation Two and Gamecube games but kept the consoles themselfes. How much more info would you need if more?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 years ago.
That's enough information.

In this type of situation, she has no real legal right to hold your things. She can't arbitrarily hold onto things because you owe her money.

On the other hand, the money and effort you will have to expend to get them back will likely not be worth the effort.

The police will not assist you as they will tell you this is a civil matter.

You can sue her in Small Claims Court but she will counter-claim for the money and you will end up having to pay her.

You can try sending her a letter by Registered Mail (to shock her a bit) and indicate that you are considering your legal options in light of her refusal to unlawfully withhold the consoles and that if you do commence legal proceedings against her you will be seeking your costs (that means that you will ask the Court to order the she pay you for court costs and any legal fees.)

You can say that you want to be fair and acknowledge that she should keep the suit until you pay her the money owing but the consoles are not related to the money owing and as such the retention of the items by her is unlawful.

You can also suggest a payment schedule for the $550 and say that you will start paying her a monthly amount, until paid off, at which time you get your suit, and payments will start after the release of the consoles, and any other belongings of you that she has, aside from the suit.

I hope that helps.

Please click accept so that I can receive credit for providing you with this information.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert confirmed everything that I had been told, and didn't want to believe. Thank you for putting my mind at rest. Monika Canada
  • This has been very helpful. I'm glad to see that lawyers and sites like this exist. Thanks for your help. Mike Halifax, NS
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Tom B.'s Avatar

    Tom B.

    Barrister & Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    23 years in practice
  • LawyerProfessor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced Litigation Lawyer in Ontario since 1999 and NY since 1997
  • B.R. Hart's Avatar

    B.R. Hart


    Satisfied Customers:

    Juris Doctor, Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
  • Jeremie John Martin's Avatar

    Jeremie John Martin


    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a bilingual attorney for the province of Quebec who goes to Court often for many clients.
  • Sokkalaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer in Ontario, Canada
  • CaptanLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
  • Law Maven's Avatar

    Law Maven


    Satisfied Customers:

    Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy