Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

My sister has abandoned my mother after my sister was gifted

Customer Question

My sister has abandoned my mother after my sister was gifted a family cottage. My mother was given a "life" involvement in the cottage. Do I have any recourse?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ontario, Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My sister dropped off my mother one weekend at my place, as they went around to "their place". They have never indicated that my 93 yr. old mother could use her cottage, nor have they warned my mother that they are renting out the cottage.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please clarify: WHO gifted your sister a life estate in the cottage property?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
my mother
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 7 days ago.

My apologies - I never saw your reply until now for some reason! Regardless, I see that you are in Canada. Ergo, I am going to opt out and move this to the Canadian Law category - you are currently in the US Law category.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 days ago.

I am a lawyer in Canada and your question just appeared on our list.

Do you mean that your mother was given a life interest in the cottage?

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 days ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!