Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

In Ontario. If a man gets a women pregnant and he doesn't

Customer Question

Hello,In Ontario. If a man gets a women pregnant and he doesn't want to have anything to do with the girl he dated or the child's life is it possible to just pay child support.I am dealing with a situation and due to my status that I am really fearful of people finding out that I will soon have a child with a woman I met off of a dating website. Can I just pay the child support fees and have no involvement?Thanks
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 15 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that you are in this difficult situation.

There is absolutely no legal requirement to be involved in a child's life. No one can force a parent to be involved in the child's life.

Of course it is absolutely mandatory to pay child support.

Does that fully answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
does that mean that If I work 9-5 everyday there is no way the courts can tell me that I have to take care of the baby at my place as long as I pay child support? This is where my worries lie because I cannot have anyone know about this. I always thought the time spent with the child has to be divided.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 14 days ago.

What you thought is not at all correct.

A court cannot order that a parent spend time with a child.

If you pay the required support this will never go to court.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I guess the only way that people get shared custody is through a lawyer or if they mutually agree to something? But for the most part the Woman has primary custody and she cannot force the man to take care of the baby? Is the child support payments arranged through a lawyer as well?

The only way to get shared custody is by agreement or court order.

It is not true that mostly woman have primary custody. These days the law and the courts treat both parents equally but as I've stated several times now no one can be compelled to take care of the baby.

Child support is set by the Federal Child Support Guidelines. You can use this online support calculator that will tell you what you have to pay for basic support. If you cannot come to an agreement then the mother will get a court order but lawyers are not required:

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/child-enfant/look-rech.asp

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If me and the mother cannot come to an agreement can the court order us to have shared custody against my will?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am just worried that if she cannot take care of the child due to other responsibilities that I will have to take the child for half the time or some of the time.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 13 days ago.

I have answered this repeatedly now. I cannot say it any clearer.

There would only be an order for support.

You never, ever have to see the child.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 12 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?