Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My brother received a court hearing for a divorce and child

Customer Question

My brother received a court hearing for a divorce and child support and other monetary requests last week. the court date is November 4th. How do I postpone the date?
he lives in quebec montreal.Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Why would you be postponing it?

Does he have a lawyer?

Why does he need an adjournment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
because he does not have lawyer yet and she is suing him for money for her in addition to child support. she also requesting for him to pay her debt. I'm looking for a lawyer now but afraid that I would not be able to have one to go with him.

If she has a lawyer then your brother should contact the lawyer, indicate he is in the process of finding a lawyer to retain and needs and adjournment.

The lawyer will likely agree.

If the lawyer does not your brother has to attend court and ask the judge to grant an adjournment on the basis that he needs to find a lawyer and he may have to show what steps he has taken to find a lawyer.

You cannot act for your brother in court as you are not a lawyer.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?