Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

The couple that adopted our grandchild has notified us that

Customer Question

The couple that adopted our grandchild has notified us that if we don't take her, she will be returned to the children's aid society and foster care. We wish to keep her out of the system. How do we proceed. Will we have the option to sue for costs and/or child support?
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I am sorry you are in this difficult situation.

Did this couple complete the full legal adoption?

How old is your granddaughter?

What province are you in please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was a full crown ward adoption in the province of Ontario. She just turned 8 in June and was in their care for almost 6 years
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They sought us out a year ago and allowed and set up visits for us.

Then you can take custody of the child and the CAS does not need to be involved so long as their involvement was fully terminated.

You can seek an order for child support. Just as the biological parents would have had to provide child support now the adoptive parents do as their legal position is just as if they were the biological parents.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?