Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

If my children have went to their dads for 3 weeks this

Customer Question

If my children have went to their dads for 3 weeks this summer, does he still have to pay child support? He lives 9 hours away, we meet halfway and they go for for all of their school holidays and can they can stay with their dad for the entire summer but he could only have them for 3 weeks due to his work.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Are you saying that he is suggesting that for that month he does not pay support?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is court ordered child support is $1652 a month, economy is terrible so we agreed to lower cs to $985 a month. I pick the kids up 2 days ago and our 15 year old handed me a sealed envelope that had 2 cs cheques enclosed. Also included was a note that said:
$985/31 days = 31.77
31.77 x 23 days = 730.71
$985 - 730.71 = $254.29
This was the amount of child support he is paying.

This is completely incorrect.

When the tables for support were worked out it was considered that the children would be with the support payor for weekends, mid-week, holidays during the year and part of the summer.

In fact, even if the father has the kids for 40% of the year you still get full child support.

So he most assuredly cannot reduce the amount because he had the children for three weeks.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?