Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

Spousal support is being demanded from me after 10 years

Customer Question

Spousal support is being demanded from me after 10 years cohabitation however 2 1/2 years elapsed after she left before filing for support I did provide some assistance for a year in the way of rent and some other costs she had always said she didn't want to help I found out that she was having an affair and want to go back to her old boyfriend yet I live let her live with me and additional five months because she had nowhere to go she did not share a bed with me she slept in a separate room and came and went she liked.
I did not provide this cash in order to just delay the possible support ratifications she told me she didn't want it to begin with but here in a half later I said no to a large loan and then she decided to file I am so
She offered to settle the cost of $500,000 flat buyout I simply don't have that money that is completely unreasonable I am 60 and she is 46
I
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.

Did you support her during the 10 years of cohabitation?

Is she working?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She had her job, but I paid for much more of the expenses,
Yes currently working but claiming less than 25 k a year I urtently earn high 6 figures

Is she earning what she could be earning or is she deliberately under-employed?

How was she able to manage for the past 2.5 years?