Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

I was in a short term relationship with a 29 year old and I

Customer Question

Hi, I was in a short term relationship with a 29 year old and I am 32 years old male from Toronto Ontario. I suspect the woman I was with is not telling me shes pregnant and I am scared that she is going to tell me in 9 months after the baby is born. After how long after the baby is born can she claim I am the baby father? Is there any law that states that she cannot inform me after a specific time and hand me over child support papers? I am just worried sick over this.Thanks
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

She can always claim you are the father.

You would need to do a paternity test.

If the child is yours then you will be required to provide child support.

There is no specific time limit as you would have to support for the child if the child is your biological child until the child is an independent adult. You can be asked at any time and if the child is your biological child the law is very clear.

I'm sorry you are so worried.

I'm also sorry that this is not the answer you wanted to hear but do let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you - wow, I didn't know that. Have you heard of cases where the woman will ask for child support many years after or is this usually done at the time of birth?

There are many different situations.

She could very well ask for support in a few years so by then you would not have much of a chance of getting involved in the child's life but would still have to pay.

I am sorry about this answer too.