Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.

My daughter has been married 29 years in Ontario and her

Customer Question

My daughter has been married for about 29 years in Ontario and her husband became a landlord in his mother’s apartment building because it was a condition of the bank to get more money. They need more money because it was losing money. The conditions were that he go to college in that field and work under an approved manager. They finally sold the apartment 15 years later but tell his wife for 2 years how much money or share it with the family unless he wanted to - take his 2 boys on one of many fishing or hunting trips around north America-boats-atv, s-fully equipped Kubota lawn and utility tractor-log splitter- 40 x 40 x 30 garage for all his toys- stuffed pigs, moose, etc. form these trips. They are going to split and he says that all his money he spent on these items including her car with his gifted money is not part of the spousal shared money- he has not worked since he got the money. My daughter found out that he got 1.8 million. The money from his mother’s apartment was only shared with him and not his 2 sisters.
Is this money not a bonus for his share of making the apartment profitable for all these years?
Will the courts agree that all this money is his alone?
Can she get spousal support?
She works for years before the kids were born then stayed home for 12 years and then went back to work. The owner gave her the Spa part of the business because it did not make money. She and her partner make about $ 30,000 a year
She doesn't know how much money he makes even now. They live in Ontario Canada
Concerned father
***** ***** *****S
Welland On
L3B 1V4
(###) ###-####***@******.***
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

What province is this, please?