Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

A family member of Italian birth moved to Canada and lived

Customer Question

A family member of Italian birth moved to Canada and lived here for over 40 years she returned to Italy a few years ago but kept her home in Winnipeg Manitoba. She recently passed away and left a will in Italy but not in Manitoba, leaving her Manitoba property to family in Italy and Belgium but not to family members here in Manitoba. Do we as family members in Manitoba have a claim on this property or does it solely belong to the our cousins from Italy and Belgium mentioned in the will????
Thank you
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
The family in Canada has no claim to this estate. So long as there is a will then that will governs her assets as itvwill govern her entire estate.Let me know if you need any clarification.