Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.

Common law wife now addicted to cocaine and oxycodone. we have

Customer Question

common law wife now addicted to cocaine and oxycodone. we have 2 children under 6 . Have tried to get her in treatment but has now after all the tests refused to go. I am missing so much work because I can't get children to daycare before 730 and I need to leave home by 6 am. Finances are BAD due to her expenses. In laws are helping with daycare expenses but they work too. She is using the boys gov. allowance as her expense account as well as her unemployment money. She has lost her job as a result of drug use. I don't want to kick her out but what are my options? She has now been in an accident and totalled her vehicle so I am left as the only vehicle for our use.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. By continuing, you acknowledge that I am not providing legal advice and can only comment on the law in general. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. When you say, "what are my options", I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Are you talking about getting a divorce or something else? Thanks, Michael
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In a common law relationship do we need a divorce? I am done but I just can't pull the plug and kick her out. She will be homeless after all. Can I get full custody of our boys and what about her getting the gov. money taken from her if I have the boys?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
This question has just been moved to the Canada law list and I am happy to help. Can you first let me know what province you live in please?Also whose names are ***** ***** to the house?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we live in bc. The names are ***** ***** wilder and terra r Lacasse
Just to be sure I understand, those are your names and hers?So she is on title?If you separate would she want custody?Has she been violent towards you or the children at all?