Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

I have a son which he decided to have nothing to do with me

Customer Question

I have a son which he decided to have nothing to do with me since he was 15. His birthday is ***** 1 , he graduated when he was 18. I thought he was still going to school after this but he has been working on and off due to his acting. He is twenty one in a few weeks. Maintenance has closed the claim as April 7 but I paid for April payment. Now that I told the mom I am not paying anymore as he isn't going to school and hasn't been going she now claims that he is going to go back to school and she is taking me back to court. For a man I have been paying for the last few years because he wants nothing to do with me. Where do I stand with this.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
It may be good that she is taking you to court as it sounds like she owes you more money than just for April. If he hasn't been attending school full-time since he became an adult he has no right to child support. So if he attended part-time only that money you paid is owed to you. So you can tell her you are happy to go to court and that you will be demanding a retroactive adjustment and seeking reimbursement for all monies you paid for each month he was not enrolled and attending school full-time. And make it clear to her that you will make it clear to the court that your son has severed all ties with you completely and so you had no idea that this was going on as you have been treated like a banker and not a parent but further that the child and his mother have deliberately deceived you into paying support because you believed he was attending school full-time and so was entitled to it.