Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.

My name is ***** ***** my Mom is 86 and has

Customer Question

Hello, My name is Darryll,
First off my Mom is 86 and has never had a drink, Smoke,Regular Tylenol, or used ant mood altering substances. Snd She is either getting Dementia or Altimeters.
I am a 45 year old son in law for my stepmom and her primary caregiver, along with Home care twice a week for showers.
Mom fell 2 weeks age from low blood pressure and went to the hospital in an ambulance. Right away she was given liquid Dilaudid every 4 hours. after 2 days of tests, ex-rays And scans the Doctor said nothing was wrong and she was fine. He said she had been Bone-Idle "Not Moving" for 3-5 years before, which was causing minor pain. Now they are giving her Oxycontin every 4 hours and one whole Zopiclone "Imovane" Daily and its been 2 weeks. My Question is do I have a say in her medical treatment at all or not? P.S The nurses give it to her so she will walk faster and not feel guilty about kick her out ASAP!
Sorry for rambling,
Thanks in advance
Worried in Ontario.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
Are you saying your mother-in-law is not competent to make decisions about her care?Does the hospital believe she is?Has she appointed you under a Power of Attorney to make decision about her care if she is not competent?