Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

I we have been seperated from 5 years and are filing jointly

Customer Question

I we have been seperated from 5 years and are filing for divorce jointly in Alberta, do we still need a formal detailed Sepereration Agreement drwan up by a Lawyer? We actually sat down with our adult son back in January the year and drew up a sort breif list of how e would divide and give property to each other, which we both agreed - with him as witness, but have not yet signed (since we were not sure when we could sign it.). Can that be sufficient?
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

There is no requirement that you have a separation agreement or that you file it with the court. If you are both happy to simply get the divorce judgement, you do not need to ask for anything more than the divorce, and do not need to file any agreement with the court.

The only other factor that you must consider is if you have any minor children you must prove to the court that adequate child support is in place.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.