Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

Can my attorney share my information to the opposing side

Customer Question

can my attorney share my information to the opposing side without telling me anything in past two weeks?
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.

Generally, a lawyer takes directions from the client. So the lawyer is the expert, informs the client of all relevant facts and law and then seeks the client's informed consent.

However, at the same time, when you hire an expert the assumption is that you trust the expert to manage the case to a great extent without constantly checking in with you. To some extent what a lawyer will do in terms of informing a client depends on what the client has told the lawyer they want to do. For example, some clients do not want any letters to be sent without reviewing them first. In fact many lawyers will not send a letter without having the client review it. However, that's not always the case. So it's important for the lawyer and the client to determine at the outset how they will proceed together.

Does that help at all?