Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

My daughter turns 19 march 11 this year and is in college

Customer Question

Hi , my daughter turns 19 march 11 this year and is in college til june of this year. She plans to move to a different city in newfoundland to continue studies in law administration for two more years. I have been paying child support for quite some time now and is wondering if i have to keep paying support ( $1762.00 per month ) while shes waiting to go to school again and should i be paying this much . Also, her boyfriend lives with her now and will be while she goes to school.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Does she live at home during the school year or at school during the school year?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she is at a different school right now and will be living at her moms home from june til this sept when she will be starting a new school in a different city. the fact that her boyfriend will be living with her leads me to believe that i shouldnt be paying for all the living expences which will be a lot. I think $1762 in child support per month is too much to pay although i dont know how much her tuition will cost and they wont give me any info as i did request.

The way this generally works is that if the child lives at home during the school year then you pay the mother whatever is set out in the table for your province based on your income.

If the child lives away at school then you normally pay 1/3 of that amount to reflect the fact that the child is only living at home for 1/3 of the year.

So you would pay during the summer and you would pay the full amount but then starting in September and going forward, each month you would pay 1/3 of the regular amount.

Does that clarify the law?