Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

I am a 22 year old full time university student. I have very

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 22 year old full time university student. I have very little contact (text only) with my biological parents, due to a history of mental illness and abuse on their part. I am covered under their Alberta Blue Cross coverage, which is supposed to last me until I am either graduated my first degree, or turn 25. Due to their high level of income, I am not eligible for any financial aid or assistance.
They recently informed me that they have set my health coverage to expire in April of this year. I will not graduate until April of next year. They are unwilling to change the paperwork. My question is, should I have to obtain my own coverage, with the cost being quite significant, is that something I would be able to take to small claims and ask them to cover? Seeing as I should technically be covered anyway.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this,
David.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Who told you that they will not cover you after April and why are they choosing that cut-off?

In terms of the financial assistance have you made it clear to the government and/or university that you don't have any ties with your parents?

Also, how many years ago did you graduate from high school?