How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  25 years in practice.
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child's father has given permission to travel

Customer Question

My child's father has given permission for me to travel internationally with her - signed a consent document which was witnessed by a notary public. We are due to leave in 10 days. He is now saying he doesn't consent and will call RCMP when i go the airport. Can he stop me from travelling when he has already singed the consent form? How do i deal with this? we live in BC Canada.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Why is he now saying that he's withdrawing his travel permission?

Is there a court order in place? Maybe a domestic contract or separation agreement? If so, what does it say about travelling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no court order in place. We went to see a court mediator and came to an agreement. She was typing it up so we haven't yet signed it.
He is now saying he is not happy with the agreement and won't tell me why exactly.
We had some difficulty on the weekend with his access time. He didn't have things ready for my daughter to nap at his place so he had to bring her home to my house to nap and then he didn't take her again int he afternoon. He didn't make arrangements with me to see her on Monday (his access times we have agreed were on weekends and if he wanted to see her outside of those times he would make arrangements with me in advance as i'm not opposed to it - just need notice). Anyway - i ended up cancelling my plans so she could go spend the day (most of the day) with him. He had the day off on Tuesday and i contacted him to let him know which appointments she has (she has special needs) and offered to bring her to him between those appointments - he said no because he wanted to go see a lawyer to stop me from travelling. Later in the day he wanted to see her and I made that happen.
He hasn't told me what the lawyer told him. he just said he wouldn't let this go and 'suggested' to me that i change my flights because he wanted to go back to the mediators to 'adjust' the agreement as he is not happy with it.
So i want to know fi he can do this because he has given me permission so how can he just go back on that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The written agreement stated that he would not withhold permission to travel. We went and signed the document (permission to travel) in the presence of a lawyer/notary public straight after our mediation meeting. If the police is informed or the Canadian Border agency or whatever they are called are notified that i am travelling - surely i should just be able to show them the permission to travel and unless he has a document from the court stopping me from travelling - he shouldn't be able to stop me? otherwise what is this permission to travel worth anyway? I am feeling really desperate. Should i be trying to get into court in the next 10 days to get an order to allow me to travel? I paid 3000CAD for the flights plus insurance and i will be travelling with a 22 month old. I can't be dealing with this! He shouldn't be abel to get away with that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - i paid extra for an immediate response but haven't heard back from you. Can you please let me know what is going on???
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm back. I'm very sorry that you haven't been helped. I was away from the site and was expecting another expert to pick up your question in my absence. I'm sorry that nobody did.

If you want to discuss your issues still, I'm happy to. If your issue has been resolved, then you should ask the site's customer service to refund your deposit, or I can ask for you if you wish.


Related Canada Family Law Questions