How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ulysses101 Your Own Question
ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3424
Experience:  Over 10 years litigation experience in family, criminal, and civil law
Type Your Canada Family Law Question Here...
ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been ordered to pay spousal support, what is the

Customer Question

I have been ordered to pay spousal support, what is the maximum percentage the courts can take from my income? The amount to be paid is greater than my income.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyAsad replied 1 year ago.

In general, if one spouse earns more money than the other spouse, he/she may have to pay spousal support. There is no set formula for the amount of alimony, although there are a set of non binding spousal support guidelines that judges and lawyers follow. Despite this, spousal support is decided on a case-by-case basis, and there is a lot of variability in the results.

Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Neil, Asad isn't wrong but there's more information needed to answer you better.

What province are you in?

Have you been ordered to pay a specific amount already, and you want to know the maximum garnishment on your income?

Is the spousal support a final order or a temporary one?

Related Canada Family Law Questions