ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years litigation experience in family, criminal, and civil law
17441061

I PAY MY EX WIFE CHILD SUPPORT EVERY MONTH. TO ASK HER AS TO

Customer Question

I PAY MY EX WIFE CHILD SUPPORT EVERY MONTH . I AM ALLOWED TO ASK HER FOR RECEIPTS AS TO WHAT SHE IS SPENDING THE MONEY ON?
Category: Canada Family Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

I'm afraid that I don't do phone calls, and it's better for you to have our discussion in writing anyway so you can refer to it later. Doing it in writing also reduces misunderstandings. Plus I believe that such phone calls are contrary to the rules of my provincial Law Society.

If you'd like to discuss your support issue with me here online, please let me know. If you want to see if you get a phone call from anyone then tell me and I'll opt out. It's up to you.

Ulysses

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all I need to know is that I am or not justify in asking for receipts for what she is spending the money on

You can ask, I assume that there's nothing stopping you from asking.

But unless the court order or contract says you can, you can't demand proof of how the money is spent or demand to see receipts. If you're paying towards extraordinary expenses like orthodontics or extracurricular sports, then that's separate from child support and you can probably ask for those depending on the order.

But for the child support figure, you cannot insist on getting receipts for how the support recipient spends the support money.

If you believe that the child isn't being provided for adequately in that household, then it's a custodial issue and you're free to seek custody yourself on that basis. Let's say that you're giving your ex big bucks, like $1500 per month or something for one child. And then you hear that she's using the food bank. And that her boyfriend who has no income moves in. That certainly raises a good question of whether she's providing adequately for the child.

That's your basic answer. If you tell me more specifics then I can give a more specific answer. But if I've answered already I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Is there anything else more specific about your support situation that you wanted to discuss? I'm here.

Ulysses

I haven't heard back from you on your support issue. We discussed it generally, but anything more specific about it?