Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

I left my husband 7 months ago. We had been seeing a

Customer Question

I left my husband 7 months ago. We had been seeing a mediator for a divorce. We where waiting for the house to sell before finishing. Now he was has been in a accident. It was a an impaired. Totaled his vehicle. Wrecked two other vehicles and himself and 2 others where taken to hospital. The other people where released. He will not have any insurance because of tge drinking and driving. My name was not on the loan for the truck but was bought while we where still together. Will I be financially responsible for this along with him
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 12 months ago.

You are not responsible for his debts that are not in your name.

And you don't share debts that were incurred after separation.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It has not been a legal separation. We where just doing mediation when this happened. I have been living with my parents for 7 months and I was trying to do this civil and cheapest. Then this now has happened. The mediator said she cannot advise me as she is representing both of us which is true. She said I need a new lawyer for advice. But it is a lot g wait and I feel sick over this. I am supporting a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old

There is no such thing as a legal separation in Canada and I know you don't have a signed separation agreement.

The mediator is not acting for either of you so she cannot really help you.

You need your own lawyer to act for you during the mediation if things cannot be settled simply.

But the answer I provided you is correct. I am a senior family lawyer.